Planning an event is burdensome for many people, especially if it is your first time. In the planning process, several factors should be considered. First, you need to identify the type of event you are going to organize. Then, consider the venue and your guest list. When it comes to the food, It is also important to identify how you want your food to be served.
That said, below are three types of catering services that you can choose from and the pros and cons of each type. Keep on reading to learn more.
1. Buffett service – This is a service style wherein guests will serve themselves and can be assisted or unassisted.
Pros: This type offers a wide range of food selection, fewer wait staff, and guests can get food and go back in seconds. Guests will have more freedom to choose what and how much food they want to take.
Cons: Buffet style service tends to have more food wastes. It can also be more expensive because of the larger amounts of food that need to be ordered. In some cases, due to long lines, there is a risk that the guest will get cold food.
2. Reception service – This is a type of catering service where appetizers are spread buffet-style on tables, and finger foods are typically served.
Pros: This is perfect for networking and business parties because guests are encouraged to walk around and mingle with other guests.
Cons: Guests may leave the event hungry because of a light menu.
3. Plated service – This is a more formal and classy service when compared to the buffet style. The guests are given the sample menu, and they get to choose their preferred food beforehand.
Pros: There will be no waiting lines because there will be servers delivering the food to the tables.
Cons: There will be less socialization among guests. Also, since the food is pre-chosen, there will be less food variety.
Factors to consider when selecting the catering service
The caterer is a vital part of the success of any event, so make sure that you choose your caterer wisely by considering the following factors.
- Great food – The food served will make or break your event party. No matter how excellent your designs look and how efficient your staffs are, it all boils down to how the food tastes.
- Excellent customer service – Customer service should be at it’s optimum. At the end of your event, no guest should complain of poor service.
- Creativity and flexibility – A catering service should be able to provide an alternate menu based on customer needs and specification. Halal foods or vegan must be considered to address specific diet restrictions.
- Motivated – If a company is motivated, excellent service immediately follows. Despite the toxicity of the event, they still need to deliver excellent results.
- Attention to detail – Atop-notch caterer should oversee all aspects regarding the food, even the most minute details should be scrutinized to avoid any mishaps.
- Highly recommended – If a caterer has excellent reviews from previous customers, then they are the best caterers to consider. Remember, reviews and ratings matter when it comes to choosing the right caterer for your event.
- Visualization – When looking for a professional caterer, make sure that they can execute your ideas to reality.
- Professional staff – No matter how excellent the ideas and planning of your event is, if the staff are not well trained, proper execution will not be achieved. The catering team should be trained professionals and have excellent people skills.
// Final considerations
Regardless of the budget you have for your event, knowing the number of expected guests is crucial. With these two factors in mind, you can narrow down the catering service to choose for your next event.
We provide catering services in Melbourne & Sydney, get in touch with us today to see how we can help!